Happy Easter Monday! He has risen!!
Holidays have always been very special in my family. Each holiday with its own traditions. And Easter has been no exception to that, especially during this quarantine time!
Despite not being able to be with all of the family this year, this recipe for fruit pizza lives on as an Easter tradition!
Growing up, Easter always included special Easter baskets, plenty of Easter egg hunts, as well as breakfast at church before Easter services.
With Easter falling at a time in spring when warm temperatures are upon us, and more importantly, the promise of salvation form Christ’s resurrection, there is always much joy to be found in the holiday!
My mom, sister, and I ALWAYS made fruit pizza for Easter. This was our tradition we were able to share not just at church but with the rest of the family as well.
Every year, without fail, mom would whip up the simple crust and cream cheese spread. Emily and I would then decorate the pizza with a variety of fruits. The fruit pizza was our artistic, edible masterpiece!
Rather than getting together in-person with all of the family this year, we instead orchestrated a Zoom meeting on Easter Sunday.
If you’re not familiar with it (yet), Zoom allows you to audio/video stream to multiple people. This way we all could still have a “get-together”.
Gotta love technology, right??
This year has continued to prove itself to be more and more challenging each day.
With shortages in store supplies, more business closures, retaining a sense of normalcy, etc., it can be tough to find some joy in day-to-day activities.
BUT, my sincere hope is that this Easter season finds you staying healthy, appreciative of the time we have with family, and most of all: filled with the promise of new beginnings that this storm too shall pass.
DON’T WANT TO MISS A THING?
If you like the recipe for Fruit Pizza, be sure and check out this recipe for Pecan Pie Bread Pudding!
for The Crust:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
for The Cream Cheese Spread:
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp fruit juice (from drained fruit)
for The Fruit
- 1½ cups strawberries, sliced
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 2-3 kiwis, diced
- 1 can pineapple tidbits, drained (keep fruit juice for glaze and cream cheese spread)
- 1 can mangerine orange slices, drained (keep fruit juice for glaze and cream cheese spread)
for The Glaze:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ cups fruit juice, from drained fruit
- Cream softened butter and granulated sugar together until well combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Pat dough onto a greased 12 inch pizza pan.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes, or until edges start to turn golden. Cool crust to room temperature.
The Cream Cheese Spread:
- Mix softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, and fruit juice with a mixer until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust.
- Arrange fruit over crust. (Frozen fruit can be used, but should be drained and patted dry.)
- In a medium sized pot, combine all glaze ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently.
- Once boiling and glaze has started to thicken, remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- When glaze has reached room temperature, pour over top of prepared fruit and crust.
- Refrigerate fruit pizza until glaze has further cooled and set up. Enjoy!