As we start to enter the season of planting, grilling, and (hopefully) get-togethers, these cowboy beans can double as both an EASY main dish or a side dish to go with your favorite grilled entree! Check out the recipe below to add to your summer collection!
Contrary to it’s name, you do not have to be a cowboy in order to eat these hearty beans!
Honestly, I wasn’t sure where I or my mom had come up with the name for this recipe. After digging into it a bit, I discovered the history behind the beans!
Made popular by the simple, low-cost ingredients and ease with which pioneers or cowboys could make them while on the trail, this dish was dubbed the Cowboy Beans.
This recipe has always been a go-to in my book for any sort of get together or grill out!
With simple ingredients and construction, this dish can come together in a matter of minutes and stay warm in a crock pot or on the stove until you and your crew are ready and hungry!
DON’T WANT TO MISS A THING?
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4-6 pieces bacon, crispy and diced
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 can pork and beans
- 1 can Lima beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- Brown beef with onion. Once browned, drain grease.
- Add brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and seasonings.
- Combine beans and browned beef mixture in a crock pot. Cook on low until heated through or when ready to eat!