Need a quick on-the-go breakfast for your outdoor adventure? Check out this recipe for campfire breakfast burritos to fuel your morning!
As the old saying goes: “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. This is especially important when camping and more so when winter camping.
Depending on whatever activities you’re aiming to do with your excursion, you’re most likely surpassing your normal number of day-to-day calories burned.
If you checked out my Winter Camping: The Brief Basics, you read that eating well-balanced meals while in the outdoors is critical.
You will need to be consuming foods that satisfy that hungry feeling. But also foods that can be converted into energy for your activities and to keep you warm.
As a simple guide, daily food intake can be broken down by broad categories and amounts of each that will help meet your body’s needs on your adventure.
These broad categories include: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Foods that are high in carbohydrates (about 50% of intake), as well as fats (30% intake) and proteins (20% intake) are suggested for winter camping.
The campfire breakfast burrito recipe below creates a quick, well-rounded meal for you to grab as you start the day.
And, you don’t have to be camping to enjoy this recipe! It can easily be enjoyed at home or in the outdoors!
One thing to note: we used a cast iron skillet for over the fire. If you do not have one, don’t panic! Any skillet will work. You may get some black marks on the pan from the fire. So, I’d leave the good skillet at home and find an old one at a thrift store.
What’s your favorite food to make or take when camping? Drop me a comment or an email with your favorite camp foods!
DON’T WANT TO MISS A THING?
-The Farmer’s Wife-
Campfire Breakfast Burritos
- 1 lb chorizo or ground pork sausage
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 4 eggs
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 flour tortilla shells
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- salsa or sour cream (optional)
- If you're using this recipe while out camping, make sure you have a well built fire with plenty of hot coals. Set your skillet on top of the fire grate or on the hot coals to warm up. If making this recipe at home, warm your skillet on the stove on medium heat.
- Add 1 lb of chorizo or ground pork sausage to your hot skillet. Cook until meat is browned and in small crumbles.
- Add diced potatoes, cooking until softened.
- Combine diced onion and green pepper cooking until vegetables are soft and browning.
- Once vegetables are cooked, add 4 eggs to the mix. Scramble the eggs into the mix. Stir often so they don't stick to the pan. (Especially important with a cast iron pan over the fire)
- As soon as eggs are cooked through, remove from heat. Add ¼ of the mixture to a flour tortilla and add ¼ cup of shredded cheese on top.
- Sour cream or salsa can be added if desired. Enjoy!